Friday, October 31, 2008
Tivo... or however you spell it
The world as we know it has become obsessed with a tiny little box underneath our televisions. Other than myself, I have come to realize that everyone owns a Tivo or DVR or something else of the sort. Apparently one cannot live without it. Who needs commercials anymore? Who actually goes out of their way to watch a program they want to? No one does that anymore. That is so last decade. Why watch commercials when television can now work around your schedule instead of the other way around. Yes, now everyone can watch the new episode of Gossip Girl two days after it airs. Heaven forbid that we miss our precious episodes of Gossip Girl! I remember the good old days when everyone would be forced to sit through the commercials and actually remember when a television show was going to be on. Now we just talk to our Tivo about it, and he fixes it all up for us. Forget the days of taping a show you wanted to watch. You can now have a library of television shows at your fingertip. This is all well and good, but how lazy and impatient are we getting? Yes, I hate commercials, but i tolerate them. Now we don't have to sit through two minutes of it all, we can just fast forward. It's quite pathetic when you really think about it. Our lives are so precious that we are not going to spend a couple minutes watching something that we don't want to watch. I can honestly say that I am doing just fine without a Tivo. I think I'll survive watching a few commercials or missing a show that I like.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
i agree but also disagree with what you are thinking. I agree with you because when you would have to sit down and watch the show, it was really kind of a social thing. As you would call your friend or the next day at work and say like oh did you see that episode. But i also disagree with you because sometimes people do get really busy, and they really do like a show. But they just don't have the time to sit down and watch it. I believe that the work is more important than watching tv so what does it hurt that they tape it, nothing really.
I agree with you Jordan that people are getting more and more impatient and that when they want something it is right now. But this is just the reflection of the world we are leaving in. I mean this is just with "Tivo" but with everything else. People are so busy nowadays that they cannot even take the time to watch a show. Well I guess this is a good thing then to be able to record it to watch it later. Technology is just created regarding people's need.
I joined the whole "Tivo Ban-wagon" pretty late, I only had it for about 2 weeks before I moved to Oregon, so i definitely see what your saying and i do agree with most of it. However, I do also agree with Dean, sometimes I really want to watch a show that I am absolutely obsessed with but with school, work, and a million other activities it I can get very busy and I am unable to watch my show. I used to tape shows before i had Tivo but honestly, that technology is becoming so outdated it became not even worth it to tape shows the old fashioned way anymore.
Off of what Natacha said, I disagree that technology is created based on human need. Technology such as this is a way to accommodate for the human laziness factor. We don't need George Foreman grills, we don't need the Magic Bullet, we don't need Tivo. Tivo is just a popular product that people pay for and end up using way too much. Watching TV is bad for you. Watching Tivo is worse.
Post a Comment